Lewis County Emerging Professionals Meeting Minutes 01/02/19
Jared Thisse, David Steltz, Elora Clemens, Brittany Davis, Gerry Hanelin, Lydia Young, McKenzie Lehman
- Review Mission Statement and Board Positions and appointments
- Upcoming Events
- McKenzie Lehman – President
- Lydia Young – Vice President
- Brittany Davis – Marketing
- Elora Clemens – Secretary
- Jared Thisse – Treasurer
- David Steltz – Website Administrator
- Gerry Hanelin – Mentor/Personal Development
- Ryan Pische – Board Member
- *Recruitment/Retention chair open/optional
The Lewis County Emerging Professionals network was established to attract and retain professionals by enhancing the social, professional, and community outreach opportunities available to emerging professionals within Lewis County and to increase the opportunity for communication, shared knowledge and interaction between those individuals, uniting them in a common cause to promote community development and service.
- AmeriCU bank account
- Check signing members of the board: Brittany Davis and Jared Thisse announced last month
- Open an account with some $ left from ugly sweater party and beer tasting event
- Eventual Non-profit status, 501-C3 or 4, etc. takes a while to process, donate and write off, card transaction fees discounted, planning to do via Stripe (low rate flat fee)
- Lydia – Legal fees associated? Jessica Young?
- Website hosting cost is $180/year
- Events that require up-front costs like food, venue space fees
- Membership dues: charge $20 flat fee, show added value at the end of the year, increase for next year
- Goal: 100+ ppl annual membership, easily able to register pay through our website, and their accounts can auto-renew and be self-managed memberships for the calendar year or year from the date they signed up, can also be pro-rated if for calendar year, auto-email reminders
- *Find local business sponsors: Double Play, Coughlin, Honda,
- What is our Financial goal? – website fees paid, be able to pay ahead for future event spaces
- Members pay annual fee of $20, can increase next year if desired
- Includes Membership Card, can be used at certain local businesses
- Have membership perks listed on our website
- What does it mean to be involved? à Mission
- Help find people to join local boards in the county, list positions and pair boards with people (Press Release to reach businesses, help the Chamber)
- CARD: Name of member, expiration date, our website, order 500 cheap business cards via Vistaprint?
- Exclusive online registration for member-only events
- Members can enjoy a discounted price on specific goods and services at events
- @Double Play – military discount on yearly fee to be a member there
- Other ideas: Bring a new member, get a drink chip or swag by helping recruit them
- Custom koozie for first 25-50 (?) ppl who register as a member
- Need to find local businesses who would donate a discount, extended only to members
- * Business partners:
- Brittany – talk to Double Play – confirm military discount to all members, Jared – arrange Honda offering.
- Jeb’s - $1 off appetizers
- Elora talk to Julie about meditation
- McKenzie reach out to Emily Dicob – Rooted Drifter
- Dave – Coughlin?
Note: Very possible Suzy and Liz not doing the NYE gala planning next year. Discussed taking over, better network, method of taking payments, possible couples discount. Determine costs, decide by June if we’re going to host it. Venue, DJ photobooth, food, etc. expenses to calculate/research by that time.
- Issue: No Lewis County taxi, determine a plan for a DD and range of service area.
LC IDA / Climax – Common co-working space, $100-300 membership, shared breakrooms, lounge areas… needs new paint and lighting but is very clean
- Good to help pass along survey and get interest for finished project
JANUARY: Snow Shoe hike at Oswegatchie (hike if no snow)
- Set date with Bill, afternoon 2 or 3 pm
- Tentatively Sunday 20th due to full moon
- Extra snowshoes provided, s’mores and bonfire to be enjoyed after the hike
JULY: Garden Party at 1812 House, July 12th, Chris Buckingham keen to start planning
- Fundraiser for Renee Beyer Fund
- Networking opportunity, signature event
- Determine alcohol, outdoor cash bar, hire a bartender?
- Catered or not? Price them out per person
- Per person ticket price of $?
- Pine tree? RJ’s? Fancier hors d’ouevres
Happy Hour in general:
- Anyone who makes it would be a contributor, they like to hear ideas and updates
- Open to public/members and non-members at 6:30pm, keep same time and location
- Board meeting quarterly at IDA, needs to be separate, board only
- Earlier morning meeting preferred over evening
- Talk to people we’ve partnered with, discuss sponsorship, agency? Logos on website
- Cards, membership
- Jared and Brittany to set up bank account
- Vinyls for koozies and t-shirts
- Outline key messaging points, attract and retain professionals
- Welcome email for members
- Separate page for website wording regarding those points
- look at Watertown Chamber of Commerce events
- What boards are in Lewis County? Ask Karen Peterson? Ryan Pishe? Specific to some cause. Contact Chamber if interested. List of boards? How do they advertise? Much easier to recruit if word is out there.
Next Meeting: February 6th at 5:30pm at Jeb’s, Happy Hour following at 6:30pm
Also decided on next quarterly meeting: Wednesday April 10th at 7:30am at IDA, BOARD members only